24 June 2015

And So Say All of Us...

It is no secret that The Ex is one of my favourite bands. After over three decades, various incarnations, anarcho-punk, improv, jazz, African beats, with collaborations of all manner and on and on, it is just not right to assign them a label at this point. It is best not to over-think it but just relish in their output. There aren't many bands that are able to keep going for so long and still push boundaries and keep it not just relevant but inspiring, each and every fucking time. Man, that last single they did with Ethiopian outfit Fendika just might be my favourite yet. Anyway, Sean Zissou just gave me access to the new film (Thanks Sean!), "And So Say All of Us" by the Irish Practice Tapes Collective, which is a wondrous documentation of three gigs the Ex did in Paris, London, Brussels and Amsterdam as part of their 33 1/3 Years Festival. I've only seen The Ex once, so any live footage I can get a glimpse of is gold but this film is particular gold and a fine glimpse into the live experience The Ex and their cohorts. When I think of the endless stream of formulaic crap we're force fed on the radio, tv, internet and  then I consider The Ex's artistic output, well its simply criminal. When people ask what type of music I like, the only answer I really have is 'genuine, moving and convincing.' Anything else is just background noise...

Cold winds are blowing, you need some warmth. Global monoculture will bore us all to death. Seek out the beauty growing out of the filth.

You can watch the first five minutes below and/ or buy the DVD here.

 




The Ex tour North America this autumn!