01 July 2015

Transylvanian Tapes



Record shops, specifically CD shops seem like lonely places these days. I feel weird buying CDs and should really purchase a new record player, as I like having hard copies of certain albums. In saying that my car has a tape deck and I recently dug out an old box of cassettes. Whats more, some great fucking bands are also currently celebrating the classic cassette. It seems cassette tapes are an affordable DIY way for small labels and bands to get their music out there beyond digital format. 

Like my choice in format, my music taste has also taken a few steps back over the last few years, in the most sordid and wonderful way. I won't bore you with the details of my reverse trajectory into all manner of doom, black and sludge metal by way of darker and crustier punk but let's just say, I'm pretty stoked on a label out of Oakland California  called 

Transylvanian Tapes

After all, this shits good for you right?

Have a dig around. There is some great music that is free but find a tape player and order a tape, support some bands. Someone else can lecture you on the audio quality of tape Vs CD vs vinyl vs digital formats. As  child of the 80s I'm simply enjoying the shit out of cassette tapes once more.

Two of my current favourites: